For this post, I took inspiration from a ‘Daily Prompt’.
‘You’ve being exiled to a private island, and your captors will only supply you with five foods. What do you pick?’
One of my ‘fortes’ is healthy eating and living. Here are five ‘foods’ that I could live on whilst on a dessert island and I know this because they are practically all I eat now!
- Water – don’t let this clear liquid in it’s purest form fool you. Its powerful, essential and I love it. It’s so important it’s best to get it from the best source possible. Avoid plastic bottled water at all costs (the world will thank you too). I carry around a food grade stainless steel water bottle (750ml capacity) and top it up whenever I can. Stainless steel doesn’t ever leech anything and they are very easy to keep clean. I got gifted mine (by that gorgeous mum I keep mentioning – did I tell you she’s wonderful?) however I would suggest this one by Glogg. I’ve not had one so I wouldn’t go as far as recommending it (yet), however it is a good price a good size and it is food grade stainless steel. Glogg is a UK company so it’s good to support local business. Find out more about them here.
- Quinoa – I consider this real soul food. It is a complete protein and an amazing wheat-free alternative. It has become very fashionable of late and for good reason. With twice the protein content of rice or barley, quinoa is also a very good source of calcium, magnesium and manganese. It also possesses good levels of several B vitamins, vitamin E and dietary fibre. It contains all nine essential amino acids making it a complete-protein source. Quinoa is therefore an excellent choice for vegans who may struggle to get enough protein in their diets. I LOVE IT. If you haven’t tried it before – do.
- Vegetables – I don’t need to tell you about veggies, all I am going to say is there are not many vege’s I do not like (leeks blurgh suede blurgh) and I eat A LOT of them.
- Himalayan Pink Salt – There is huge hype surrounding Himalayan salt – Is it good for you? Is it a scam? There are soo many sources of information its hard to know who is right. You know what, life’s too short to worry about it too much, I enjoy pink salt, I feel its good for me. Its pink. Its good for me. Its pink. I like it.
- Olive oil/coconut oil/hemp oil – These oils contain essential fatty acids. I am very liberal with my usage of oils, lots of people use it sparingly as they feel they are fattening. Honestly they are so important for good skin and hair and maintaining a healthy body overall.
So there you have it, the prompt that prompted me to proudly present my penchant for healthy food!
The health “freak”